Monday, June 6, 2011

Birthday Flowers




(the flowers by our driveway)

A long time ago I remember my mom telling me that the wild flowers that popped out the first week in June are my "birthday flower". She always called them tigerlillies. Now my husband points out every year that they are not in fact actual tigerlillies, but every year he gives in after some threats. Anyway, these flowers go unnoticed by most, or they casually glance at them and think "oh pretty". But the first week in June when these flowers come bursting out it is quite special to me. For one thing my Nana and my Mom would always pick me huge bouquets of them on my birthday and make a big deal about how many they could fit in the glass vases. My grandmother passed on many years ago, but every year when I see the tigerlillies its like she is wishing me a happy birthday. When she died the tradition of bringing me big bunches was continued by my mother, mother in law and my Papaw. This is my first year without my Papaw. But the flowers are still there.
When Wayne and I picked a sight for our house to be built it was autumn, we began building in March. That June as construction was well underway, I was shocked to find that our new driveway was flanked on both sides by huge patches of wild tigerlillies. It was a sign to me that we belonged here.
This year Millie is appreciating the flowers for the first time. She is noticing their bright orange color, their huge blooms, their ability to show up in the most bizarre and overgrown spots and that they go to "sleep" at night and wake in the morning. Through her eyes I am appreciating their beauty again. Not a moment too soon. Tomorrow is my 30th birthday. It is a day that I have both dreaded and longed for. But no matter what the emotion of the moment, one thing can bring me peace. My beautiful "birthday flowers".

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Holly! I hope you have a wonderful day! Your birthday flowers are very gorgeous, indeed! they can really bring you peace! Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this post! Peonies are the same way for me--they always bloom around my birthday and my mom would bring me big bunches from her bushes. Glad you have this wonderful reminder at your house! Love and birthday wishes to you :)

    ReplyDelete