Monday, January 25, 2010

Soapbox

Please forgive me tonight but something is bothering me and I feel the need to vent. A recent post on facebook and the responses to it got me to thinking. The post was written by a dear friend who adopted a precious child from overseas last year. She was voicing a concern about the difficulties placed on those attempting to adopt. The comments made were also by another dear friend who has been blessed with a wonderful child through natural birth. Her comments were not mean or heartless, and they probably had alot of truth to them, but they were made not from the perspective of a woman who has suffered from infertility. This leads me to my soapbox.
If you are a parent who has been blessed with the ability to have a natural child with a minor amount of difficulty, I am very happy for you. (And by minor I mean if you were able to conceive without medical intervention or without waiting for many years or if you were not broken hearted by a miscarriage or the loss of a stillborn.) I think you should count your blessings and be grateful, but I do not think you should presume to know or understand the feelings of a mother who has not had that luxury.
I was granted by God my precious baby girl through biological birth, but my struggles began many years earlier and those of you who know Wayne and I know that. We trudged through multiple medications and miscarriage. We rode the emotional roller coaster of adoption fairs and discussions. We cried the tears of parents with no child. I guess my point is if you do not know the pain first hand don't try to identify. There is no feeling like it and I do not wish that agony on anyone. I don't mean to seem ungrateful for kind words or sympathy, but I do wish to stop one person from making a callous comment without thinking.
Love and Peace,
Holly

1 comment:

  1. I saw what you are talking about and agree with you 100% in everything. It took us 5 years to get Samuel. I can honestly say that those 5 years were some of the lowest points in my life.

    ReplyDelete