Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Chasing the Butterfly


Today was an adventure. It was my first day at attempting to relax my control. It went well, not perfect, but well. It started with me taking Millie outside after breakfast. I put her in old clothes and shoes and followed her through the mud. I watched her, I mean really watched her. I tried to figure out what was going through that little mind. I have a feeling it was much more complex than I could ever imagine. There was one moment when she was intently piling rocks on the porch and she just stopped. She looked so bewildered. Her head began to move slowly as if trying to keep up with something, I followed her line of vision. She had spotted a butterfly. It hovered about 5 feet from her near a bush. She crept over to it and it darted, so did she. I followed them both and watched the light in her eye as she chased such a beautiful new creature. She has butterflies all over her room and clothing but this was the first time she ever noticed a real one. It lead us to the end of the drive and then into the woods, Millie stopped, turned to me, smiled a smile of pure delight and then marched back to the porch to pile rocks. She had forgotten instantly her journey, but I will forever carry it with me. My daughter taught me today the importance of chasing the butterfly. I hope she always does.
See You Tomorrow,
Holly

1 comment:

  1. I love this. It felt like I was right there with you. I truely feel that I had not lived until I had Jacob. I see this in this blog.

    ReplyDelete