Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Urtle




While walking to the mailbox with Millie a few days ago the funniest thing happened. She was keeping a good pace with me on the driveway so I let her hand go so she could pick up rocks. I was not paying a lot of attention when she said, "Momma Yook". I looked down at her tiny hand and at first glance thought she was holding a small odd rock. On closer inspection I realized that she was holding a tiny snapping turtle. I took the turtle from her, took her into the house and washed her hands, twice (hey I am a nurse I worry) and put the turtle in a tupperware bowl ( I sanitized later don't worry). We examined the turtle and watched him walk and eat ( he was suprisingly active). Millie watched him in amazment off and on for hours. Later in the day she looked at me and in her sweet voice asked, "Baby?" I said yes he was a baby she then asked "Momma?". It broke my heart because she was asking me where was the baby's momma. Ok so I know how the whole turtle thing goes, I know he doesn't need a momma but to Millie all babys need a Momma. I said the Momma was outside and when Daddy got home we would take him to her. As soon as Wayne got in we walked the Urtle, as Millie calls it, to the creek at the end of the driveway. She waved bye to him and still asks when we are going to get the mail "Urtle?" and I always tell her he is with his Momma. See Ya Tomorrow, Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment